Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Sound of Inspiration

Spending last week in Honduras was an experience I won't soon forget. At one point I even had a conversation with a deaf Honduran woman, through a signing translator, about my Cochlear Implants and her fears of having an operation; something I never imagined happening on this trip.

But the highlight for me came on the last day, when a sweet little girl warmed up to me quicker than any child ever has. We blew bubbles, ran and played all morning 'till I was ready to escape the caliente sol for a siesta. Thanks to my CIs, this interaction worked its way deep into my heart. Being a lifelong musician, it found its way out through poetry. I'm still struggling to process all the things I experienced last week, but they're slowly becoming clear to me. I'm cutting this post short and letting creativity take over:

She looks at me with eyes so bright
They say nothing of where she'll sleep tonight
Too soon I'll leave
As the sun goes down
And darkness abounds

Her sun-kissed face smiles and glows
Seeds of joy and laughter flow
But no one knows
As we leave this place
The tears that fill her face

She takes my hand and off we run
I wonder where her love comes from
For I look around
And all I see
Say nothing of her beauty

Now oceans apart that couldn't seem farther
Three days ago I felt like her father
I can't answer these questions
With paper and pen
Will I see her again?

The memories now in photos I've taken
Inspiring, compelling, heart breaking
Deep in need
But still she gives
Could this little girl teach me to live?

Stirring inside by the stars in her eyes
Longing to be again at her side
Finding peace in knowing
The One Who Is
Will hold her tight for she is His



3 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Erik. As I lay 1/2 asleep at 5am, these words slowly crept into my mind in a way I couldn't ignore. Try as I might to cling to my pillow, something forced my hand to the pen to the page...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful words for a beautiful girl from a beautiful person. Thanks for giving me some perspective from afar

    ReplyDelete