Thursday, June 9, 2011

Hearing In Honduras

At 4am tomorrow morning I'll be meeting 21 of my current (and soon to be) best friends from City Community Church for a 9 day trip to La Ceiba, Honduras. I haven't even started packing my stuff yet. As the rediculously early hour approaches, I can't help but remember my experiences in this amazing city last year.

Amazing in the way they opened their dirt floor homes and invited US, rich-white-gringos, to share a meal with them.

Amazing in the smiles on their sun scorched faces.


Amazing in the way the sky played Picasso.

Amazing in the way a life I would call poverty completely changed my perspective on what it means to find happiness.

This ain't no mission trip. I'm not going to "save" them from their "horrible" living conditions. I can't spend a week with them and expect their hardships to vanish completely. I AM going because of the love they've shown ME. A love and a hospitality and a friendship that compelled two guys' hearts to the point where THIS came pouring out.

Last year I still wore a Left hearing aid (deaf in Right). I remember a few times when there would be games and conversations at night that I struggled so hard to understand and meaningfully engage in, that I retreated to my room to escape the uncontrollable frustration. Granted that gave me time to write an inspired song.

This year I'm going with bi-lateral cochlear implants, and the fears and frustrations have already been replaced with joyous anticipation. The song-writing is still a work in progress due to pitch perception, but it's going to be an incredibly new experience for me guaranteed.

Look for me to post an update on my adventures next week. Adios América, Hola Honduras!

Now about that packing....Holla what?

No comments:

Post a Comment