Monday, May 23, 2011

Hookup Pics

I'd like to start by thanking my good friend Justin Kirby for contacting me out of the blue after 10 years and offering to capture these amazing pics from my Left CI hookup. If you enjoy what you see below you should check out his other work here.

May 5th, 2011 was the date of my 2nd hookup. Enjoy the photos (along with my credulous captions), click to enlarge.
  
 



Lining up the transmitter with the magnetic receiver under my skin, wore plenty of deodorant. The new CI is connected to my audiologist's PC interface equipment.


Patiently awaiting the first sounds, admiring the coloring collage across the room. (low-quality photo by me, just clarifying)





 




 Creating my 1st "MAP", which is finding the upper and lower thresholds of electrical stimulation to my cochlea, allowing me to hear both soft and comfortably loud sounds. 


My always-helpful-audiologist, Katie, creating the MAP as I signal when I 1st hear the soft sounds and when the sounds become uncomfortably loud. (I like this pic because I hardly get to see the back of my head...impressive battle scar) 







"You mean I can pick up underwater CIA transmissions with these suckers?! Whoa, WHOAWAA, wait wait wait...Captain, I'm receiving an urgent distress signal!"


Today I had the privilege of driving home through a hail-infested-monsoon. 6 months ago it wouldn't have been much more to me than a faint crackling, if that. Today it's so loud and clear I turned my car stereo off just to listen to it. With only my Left CI (active for 2.5 weeks) it sounded like a deep waterfall in an echoing cave. To my Right CI (active for 4.5 months) it sounded much more short and crisp, like snapping bubble-wrap. Then when I put them together it sounds like giant, beautiful raindrops dancing around my car, as realistic as I could ever remember it sounding.

I can't tell you how great of an experience it has been regaining bi-lateral hearing. There is SO much information the brain receives when hearing from both sides, it makes things immeasurably more defined and completely changes the perceived sound into something clear and pleasant. I've told a few people that hearing from only one ear is a lot like waking up and having 1/2 of your nose stuffed, restricting your breathing on one side. Regaining hearing out of both sides feels just like that moment when both airways become clear and you can breathe freely again. It's improved my senses, my awareness and my perception of everything around me.

Thanks again to Justin for the awesome photos...now about that rain. 

It's always a good day when the sun's shinin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment