Sunday, May 29, 2011

Heart Racing

As the grandson of both WWII and Korean War veterans, Memorial Day weekend will always hold a special place in my heart. And after spending 20 years in Indy, the weekend wouldn't be complete without The Greatest Spectacle in Racing, The Indianapolis 500. Today marked my 12th straight trip to the 2.5 mile oval, but my 1st time with bi-lateral CIs. Sparks flew.

Having spent 4 of these 12 here as a member of the Purdue All-American Marching Band, I've come to appreciate the pre-race traditions and festivities as much as anything. One year as I was standing with the band under the pagoda waiting to play the National Anthem, I turn around and catch Chistopher McDonald snapping a picture with me. You may know him better as Shooter McGavin, the kind of guy who eats disgusting things for breakfast.

But back to the music...I always enjoy the Florence/Neighbors one-two punch of God Bless America and Back Home Again. Though they sound slightly flat and shaky to me now, they come through with plenty of volume. "Banner", performed by Seal and Kelly Clarkson with David Foster on Piano, sounded melodic though slightly off key to me, but I honestly don't remember the singing so much as I remember this:
Got to get me one of these

After waiting over 3 hours in the hot sun, the race start has got to be the coolest thing that happens all day. There's all this buildup, then 3 short pace laps, then they're off, screaming past at speeds I only wish I could get my Saturn up to (and I've tried). We sat near the entrance to Turn 2 today, and I'm telling you, there is nothing much more awesome than watching 11 rows of 3-wide come flying by at 220mph.

After the 1st pass at speed, I realized right away that my CIs were making this much more enjoyable. They do so much limiting and sound processing that I worry neither about volume adjustment nor distortion. I remember just last year on the end of my hearing aid life things sounded very distorted and it was nearly impossible to hear or understand the PA announcer. Today, as long as there weren't cars flying by, I could follow the PA relatively well and the cars sound like they always did just a little softer...less ear-deafening roar.

 "That's Focus"

I had to experiment a little, so I took my CIs off for a few laps and sure enough, I can't hear an Indycar passing 50 feet in front of me. I can feel the bleacher vibrations and the wind from the cars going past, but I don't hear anything, which is crazy considering all the years I've spent here knowing how loud these things are.

This also puts it into perspective for me what a great job my CIs are doing since the only thing I hear with them on is CI processed sound, and it's a dang good job of recreating what an Indycar sounds like; that Doppler effect as the cars approach and pass, it'll never get old to me. I also tried listening with one at a time, and since my Right CI is well ahead of my left I'm still hearing a clearer, more realistic sound over there, but the two together makes it SO much better then either one alone.

The race itself did not disappoint. Ganassi dominated much of the race as usual. The Danica-lovers got a 10 lap tease to make them think she actually stood a chance...and of course she whined about not having that chance post-race (axe the go-daddy commercials and I'll stop hating). My personal favorite driver Tony Kanaan had a shot but late pit strategy left him 4th at the finish. Then with the race in its final lap, a guy no one's heard of, J.R. Hildebrand looks to be the 1st rookie to win The 500 till he crashes out of turn 4 (the very last turn of 200 laps) and the win goes to Dan Weldon. Always a great time at the track, always exciting action.

Overall this was one of the best races I've been to. It's an added perk not having to worry about hearing protection ever again (if you show up to this thing and don't wear earplugs, you leave with hearing loss). I'm slowly falling in love with my CIs as I'm racking up one experience after another that are SO much different than what I'm used to. Even though it was a brutal 7 hrs in 90 degree heat, there's no place I'd rather be to close out May. God bless and protect all of our Armed Forces. Happy Memorial Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment