Friday, June 24, 2011

A New Kind of Day

Today started just before 5am. Up too early to think, I hastily made my way, coffee-less and disoriented, to Long's Bakery in support of my wonderful co-workers, whom I am convinced appreciate me for more than just this weekly sugar fix. Walked up to the counter, gave my name, paid the bill, and was WELL on my way before I realized I hadn't thought twice about whether or not I would be able to communicate at the counter.

At the office, put in a solid morning of work (gotta love 1/2day Fridays), all the while enjoying some motivating tunes on Pandora thanks to my audio cable:
Speaking of Pandora, could we get a "two thumbs up" button? Some songs are just better than "one thumb". And I could justify my Siskel & Ebert station.

After work, met my younger bro at Sun King for the release of their newest brew made with blue spruce pine needles...actually, quite tasty. Had a quick conversation with one of the co-founder's mother, a hearing aid user who has taken a liking to observing the transition I've made to CI's.

Made a stop at Kohl's for a quick purchase. Again, was out the door before I realized I just had an actual conversation with the store clerk.

Stopped off for a hair cut with my stylist, Mandy. Honestly, I wouldn't trust anyone else to cut around my "under-skin" connectors. She's smart enough to pull off the magnetic transmitters and properly re-connect them after trimming. Always a great cut...even better not even thinking about my massive headgear.

Quick turnaround at home, then off to Greencastle with my mom for an Open House/Dinner put on by Cochlear, the manufacturer of my amazing hearing devices. Had quite a few conversations with other CI users, mostly much older than me. It was really nice to meet other people in similar situations to me, but even better to have them tell me that our conversation gives them hope and inspiration for a better hearing experience. The kicker for me was meeting a wonderful woman who's son was implanted at age 1 1/2. Now he's 3 and she's invited me to come play guitar at his school so that he and his classmates can see the benefits of CIs in an adult. Wow...talk about finding purpose.

Driving home on the interstate could get rather noisy, so I had my mom clip-on my lapel mic adapter and I could hear her perfectly while watching the road. Nothing like being safe and effectively conversing. I also enjoy using this at home with the center speaker while watching TV (which is the channel all dialog goes through, in case you didn't know).

The day's winding down and I'm just starting to realize what an array of incredible experiences I've filled it with when 6 months ago I would have:
-Missed the alarm
-Dreaded the donut purchase
-Prayed for no meetings at work
-Gone home immediately and avoided any unnecessary interaction

 Encountering all these new sounds and experiences is one thing...realizing how blessed I am is icing on the cake.

2 comments:

  1. Dude...so glad to know things are getting a lot better! We couldn't be happier for you! Watch out ladies...he's quite the catch!

    Love ya man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the PR management Joy...btw, you have working internet and cable :)

    ReplyDelete